Toxic plants for pets

cat dog cats dogs educational List toxin plant for pets

This is not the full list, but covers the more general toxic plants in your garden or which may be kept in your house. It affects dogs and cats.

Autumn Crocus

 Autumn Crocus

There are two Crocus plants: one that blooms in the spring and the other in autumn which could cause gastrointestinal upsets (even bleeding,) severe vomiting and diarrhoea. It is highly toxic and can lead to liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure if ingested.

 

Azaleas

Azalea

could also have serious effects on pets, even if the animal had chewed on only a few leaves. Symptoms are vomiting, diarrhoea and excessive drooling. Without immediate veterinary attention, the pet could fall into a coma and possibly die.

Cyclamen

Cyclamen

roots can cause severe vomiting and even death.

 

 

 

Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe

This flowering succulent plant can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and heart arrhythmias if ingested by pets.

 

 

Lily
Lilies

There are dangerous and benign lilies out there, and it’s important to know the difference. Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies contain oxalate crystals causing tissue irritation to the mouth, tongue, pharynx and throat, resulting in minor drooling. The more dangerous, potentially fatal lilies are true lilies, such as include Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies – all of which are highly toxic to cats! Even small ingestions (such as 2-3 petals or leaves) can result in severe kidney failure. If your cat is seen consuming any part of a lily, take your cat (and the plant) immediately to a veterinarian for medical care. The sooner you take in your cat, the better and more efficiently ir could be treated.

OleanderOleander

leaves are extremely toxic responsible for severe vomiting, slow the heart rate and possibly even cause death.

  

Dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia

which is very popular in many homes and offices, can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing if ingested.

 

 

Daffodils

Daffodils

These flowers contain lycorine, an alkaloid with strong emetic properties (something that triggers vomiting). Ingestion of the bulb, plant or flowers and can cause severe vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression. Crystals are found in the outer layer of the bulbs, similar to hyacinths, which cause severe tissue irritation and secondary drooling. Daffodil ingestions can result in more severe symptoms so if an exposure is witnessed or symptoms are seen, seek urgent veterinary care.

Lilies of the vally

Lily of the Valley

will cause vomiting, diarrhoea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias and possible seizures. Pets with any known exposure to this plant should be examined and evaluated by a veterinarian.

 

 

sago palm

The Sago Palm is very harmful to pets causing vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure and, in some cases, death.

 

 

 

tulips

Hyacinths

Tulips and Hyacinths

Tulips contain allergenic lactones while hyacinths contain similar alkaloids. The toxic principle of these plants is concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower), so make sure your dog isn’t digging up the bulbs in the garden. When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and oesophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhoea, depending on the amount consumed. There’s no specific antidote, but with supportive care from the veterinarian, animals do quite well. With large ingestions of the bulb, more severe symptoms such as an increase in heart rate and changes in respiration can be seen, and should be treated by a veterinarian. These more severe signs are seen in cattle or overzealous, chowhound Labradors.

If you suspect your pet had ingested any of these call your veterinarian for assistance. Accurate and timely identification of the suspected substance is very important. Having the container, package, or label in hand would save valuable time and may save the life of your pet.


Older Post Newer Post